Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screwthread torque simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juppehup

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2022
NL
I would like to model a screwthread male and female, let's say a M100x4, apply torque and be able to determine the stresses in the threads. I am using a Solidworks Premium license for this.
Whatever I have tried so far did not gave the result I expected. I have tried many things and settings but every time something is not what I expected; either the result, or the solver cant handle it, etc.
I tried many models, but basically I used a helix profile cut for the threads, applied a contact between the flanks of the thread an between the bolthead and face (both with a friction factor) and applied torque.
I also have used Large Displacement.

It seems such a rather simple simulation, but I cannot get it to give me the results I need.
Does anyone have experience on this?
Maybe examples?
Or can lead me to documantation / info that can help?
Is my Premium (with Large Displacement) competent enough, or will I be needing Solidworks Simulation with non-lineair study for this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Such analyses with complex contact conditions are not easy and often lead to non-convergence unless some tricks are used. Most importantly, it's better to apply displacement (angle of rotation) instead of torque. You have to make sure that there are no rigid body motions until contact is established. You could also use nonlinear dynamic analysis for this to eliminate problems with rigid body motions.

OK, thnx. I tried a simplfified model with a 10mm pitch, contacts defined on the flanks, a gap of 10mm between head and face and applied 1 single rotation on the head. I got it to work in such a way that while rotating the screw would move axial (probed this and it was exact 10mm). However, when I increased the rotation (to make torque) the contact between head and face kept being denied. Despite whatever setting I tried in the contact definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back