Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scrubber capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

azg

Chemical
Nov 6, 2002
US
I completely forgot how to evaluate scrubber capacity. If I need to remove 98% of the contaminant in the gas, then how do I go about calculating whether or not this scrubber is up to the task? I have all the data, short of packing

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my experience, you cannot use 98% removal efficiency to calculate scrubber capacity.

The amount of removal efficiency required is a function of the type of inlet and outlet nozzle devices selected for application. Having a wire-mesh mist extractor improves to a large extent the scrubber efficiency when copmared to an open outlet nozzle.

PECO (Perry Equipment ...) fabricates scrubbers and their scruber efficiency is proven to achieve 98-99% removal efficiency.

You will need to consult your design books to be guided on how to size a scrubber but the kind of inlet and outlet devices selected determines the removal efficiency and also the scrubber size.

Regards

It is not clear whether you are looking for a packed scrubber or something else.
Also, whether you are using phase-separation only (as mucour suggests) or other process, maybe absorption or chemical reaction with absorption.
I have done reasonable work on packed scrubbers with absorption and chemical reaction with absorption as separation method. Maybe I can point out a thing or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back