Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SD card extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyreInc

Electrical
Apr 7, 2011
US
I have a Panelview HMI in an enclosure, and we want to use the SD card for data logging. It would be nice to be able to easily access the SD card without opening the enclosure, so I had the thought to find an SD card extender. This one from Amazon would probably work well, particularly since it has mounting holes, but I'd prefer something of known provenance and quality so we don't get stuck someday when Amazon stops stocking this. Does anyone know of a name brand/good quality version of such a device? Something with a CAD model would be ideal.

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.amazon.com/Reader-Extension-KZ-B19-UNIVERSAL-Memory/dp/B00FSC24EU[/url]

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about those SD cards with built in Wifi?

Then you don't need to fish out the card to access the data.

But if the enclosure is metal and provides good shielding, then you'd have to test RF connectivity.

This assumes that they're compatible with your intended application.

IRstuff, that's a good thought and something I will consider. The probem though is that at this point, early in the machine's lifecycle, we don't really know how many units we will end up selling.

VE1BLL, That would be a good idea, except that the data will already be accessible over the LAN if the machine is plugged into it; that in fact would be the preferred way to grab this data. This concept is to allow an alternative to those that do not have a LAN or an available connection to it, or don't understand networking concepts, to be able to just pull the SD card and view the data on it directly.

It appears that you've not yet read up on these 'SD wifi' cards.

The SD memory cards with built in Wifi do not require a LAN or Wifi Router; they make their own Wifi connection, directly between the SD card and the client device. They need only power (of course).

You would use your laptop or portable gadget to connect and log into the SD card directly. Then you can browse and download the data files.

They're intended to allow photographers (even in the middle of nowhere, no Wifi hotspot, no LAN), to extract images from their camera to their laptop or portable device, wirelessly over a Wifi connection hosted within the little tiny SD card themselves. No local Wifi router required. No LAN required. No wired connection required. No physical access to the SD card required. Just camera with such an SD card, a laptop or gadget, and maybe a picnic table.

As already mentioned, I'm not sure they'll work in your application (due to in-the-weeds details, such as what sort of files the embedded server is expecting to deal with).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back