Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SDR 21 PVC Fittings - where are they? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sure.n.price

Civil/Environmental
Jul 18, 2022
US
I’ve been asked to find pricing for a range of fittings for SDR 21 pvc pipework - 90 and 45 deg. elbows, in solvent weld and push-on variants, and am struggling to find these items. I can find plenty of SDR 35 fittings, some SDR 26 etc but the only SDR 21 fittings I can find seem to be from one company and seem excessively expensive, so I have doubts that these are genuine industry prices. But the lack of results for SDR 21 pvc fittings has me wondering what’s up here?

I don’t have vast experience in water distribution pipework but I’m looking at the pressure requirements it seems to me that I would be best off looking for Sched 40 pipe fittings for sizes 3” and below and Sched 80 for 4” and above, though I’m just a bit wary of making that leap without the advice of those with experience in this area. I believe generally I’m looking at items that would be trenched and buried water distribution piping.

Any input that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can only assume that because SDR 21 is actually pretty close to schedule 40 that no one bothers making it.

So e.g. for a 6" pipe, sched 40 is 7.1mm, SDR 21 is 8mm and sched 80 is 11mm.

Certain wall thicknesses even though theoretically available just become uncommon and so no one stocks it or makes it anymore.

I've never like PVC myself, would much prefer PE for this duty...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

There are plenty of suppliers of SDR 21 pipe. Here is one of them:

SDR 21

Your piping application which you have not disclosed will determine what type of pipe that you will specify. However, solvent welded PVC pipe is generally not a good idea and is not suitable for almost all buried applications as the rigid connections will fail over time as the ground moves. See the comment above regarding restrained joints.

If you provide the piping application, you will probably obtain better pipe recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back