Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SE Exam Question regarding practice exams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlAC

Structural
Feb 21, 2017
US
I'm set to take the SE exam in three weeks and am currently taking practice exams. I bought the NCEES Practice exam as well as the PPI practice exam. Are these two practice exams generally easier, harder, or about the same in difficulty than the real thing? I'm trying to figure out how good or bad my low 30's scores on the multiple choice on the PPI practice exam are (I realize that difficultly of the real thing changes from test to test so the passing score varies but I'm just trying to get a gauge of where I'm at).

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally PPI's practice exam is regarded as similar to the difficulty of the real exam. The NCEES sample exam is regarded as slightly easier than a typical real exam.

If you're scoring low 30s then you're probably in the passing range for the morning. How are your afternoons?

I posted my estimate of the passing score for the SE exam on engineerboards; I can link you to that if you like to judge your score against that.

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

TehMightyEngineer,

I think I came across your post a few days ago while researching this question. I wouldn't mind if you were to post it though.

I didn't take the afternoons yet (I will this week) as I'm a little more concerned about the mornings where Bridges are included, a topic I'm not strong on as I work on buildings. Next weekend is when the real fun will happen as I will take the NCEES full practice exam on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for your insight.

About the same in my opinion.

Assuming lows 30s means ~32/40 and not 32%, then that should be passing for AM. I'd still be a little bit antsy and try to boost that, but that's me. I was always told you're shooting for 70-75%.

As TME noted, don't forget the index. There will be 1-2 bridge questions you can answer just by looking in the index and pulling the value out of a table or text. AASHTO's index is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back