SE Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmoh

Industrial
Mar 1, 2008
AU
Forum Poll.
There are several regular contributors to this SE forum. I suspect there a large number of lurkers too.
Out of personal interest what version are you using and which category do you fall in to?

1. ST2
a. Trad
b. Sync
c. Combination
2. ST1
a. Trad
b. Sync
c. Combination
3. V20
4. V19
5. Older Versions

Do you use any of the above through personal choice or company enforced?

Food for thought!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ST2 Traditionnal for 98% of the time.

I have a Fundation licence.

I use Sync for small project that can serve as training time. I'm not convinced yet that I can use Sync on a regular basis.

I choose SE back in 2003 with V14 and never looked back. Unfortunately that's the only Cad software besides AutoCad that I used since then too.

Patrick

Whatever version the client happens to be running during my contract.
Currently ST1 traditional.
Previous client (up to last Dec) is still running V20 because they can't afford the loss in productivity on a live project going to ST interface.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

I use SE/ST2 Classic - mostly in the traditional env.

I have already done a training for the sync env.
But after the training I used it once or twice for a real (small)project but nothing more than that.

I am self-employed, so yes I decided to buy SE 5y ago.
But I decided in october last year to stay for one year on maintenance (ST3).
And if there are no huge changes in SE traditional, I will quit paying maintenance. And probably change to something else.
But I also must say I love to work with SE.
But since they introduced ST and the awfull new UI without asking the customer I certainly changed my opinion about Siemens PLM.
I think we still need a lot of things in the draft environment. Like tools for (very)fast placement/alignment of dimensions, changing tol. mutch faster. Automatic recognition of threads to say something.
Like you can see not big things, but things that just needed to be done.
In the part environment I am quite happy except off the placement of holes and the lack of predefined features.
(Again this can be done easily if they just want to spent some time for it.The beauty of it is that all these things already exist-because many of us already made them, so they only have to collect them ! Just do it.)

So basically they are running behind the competition in a way. Because they spend all the money they have in ST, I think there are not so many people waiting for this new direct modeling tools we already have in the trad. env BTW.

And yes ST will have a future ! but not now ! except if they can make it in one or two versions workable like we use the tools we have now.

V20
St1: no
St2: sporadic (trad.)

========

The last poll done in May 2009 had this result:

Total licenses by those who participated 550 (as per 4. May .2009)

- V20 or lower = 372 = 67,7%
- ST (trad. or ST) = 178 = 32,3%

dy

If you have new tool it has to work at least as well as the old one or it will just get left under the bench and never used.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

We're still on V19, but I also have ST2 as a dual install.

We usually upgrade every second release, because every upgrade usually forces us to upgrade our PDM system (which has lots of customization). But with ST1 I advised my boss not to do the upgrade and wait for ST2. My reasons were the following:
-GUI. I don't mind the fluent interface too much (love it in Office), is it better that the old one? No, but not a deal breaker. My problems were with the lack of customization, yes we had the QAT, but it was really lacking features (like reorganize). Also the new vertical ribbon bar is a disaster.
-ST. Most of the thing we produce are rotational symmetrical and when I played around with ST1 I saw that it was really hard to place dimensions to a circular surface. So back then it was a cool technology, but something we would hardly ever use in production.

That was then, now I'm really lobbying for an upgrade to ST2, main reasons being:
-SE Simulation, if this had been in ST1 I would have pushed for us to upgrade back then. It's has exactly the right level of features. All the hardcore analysis we send to our team in India anyway, but to be able to do the more basic stuff in house is really great. And yes we have Femap Express, but that is a sad little product.
-Live sections, removes the problem I had with placing dimensions to a circular surface.
-Better GUI, it's still not optimal, but it's getting better.
-64bit, not a new feature in ST2, but it isn't available in V19 and we are starting to switch over to 64bit Windows, so it would of course it would be nice with a 64bit SE.

If we do the upgrade I still think 95% of all order related modeling will be done in traditional env. there are still too many things missing in synchronous (assembly features, suppress feature with a variable and some other things).

Hi,

> SE Simulation

not that this is not part of 'Foundation' nor 'Classic' it's
part of the new bundle 'Premium'. Whether available as separate
module is not known. In any case extra $$$

dy

@Raaden- ST2 is 64 bit, but if you are using Embedded Client (SEEC), it is only 64 bit for XP & Vista. They are not supporting Win 7 yet. And you can't use 32 bit on Win 7 either, that doesn't work, I've tried it. They said ST3! And that isn't coming out until Oct or later. They seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Yes Don, I'm aware that it will cost more $$$. So far I haven't seen any prices for SE Simulation neither as separate module nor as for the premium package, but I don't think it will be too steep. Plus we will be turning to Classic licenses to Foundation. And even if it will cost and arm and a leg I still think it's worth it.

@fun4sparkie- We're are not using SEEC and we are still on XP (Sigh!), so there is no problem with upgrading

Hi,

I've found some prices (in Eur, net without VAT [value added tax])
the prices may vary (recommended retail price)

- Premium (nodelocked) 11,000.00 floating 11,150.00
Premium bundle
- SolidEdge Classic
plus
- Xpress Route
- Wireing
- Simulate

- Simulate as separate package (SE Foundation or Classic required)
- nodelocked 4,350,00 floating 6,960.00

dy

ST1 Classic - Traditional

Will be upgrading to ST2 - Traditional next week.

Will be turning on Synchronous for our machine builders, but not for product design with the exception of a Synchronous Assembly template for SE Simulation use (it only works on Synchronous Model files, so you have to insert Traditional assemblies into a Synch Assy file).

Ken

V19, cause anyone else who used to help with upgrades has been laid off and I have too much on my plate to worry about little things like this.

Actually, want to go to V20 fairly soon. Holding off any any ST because I just can't see finding the time for all our users to get on the new interface.

Also, our local Siemens office has had a massive reorganization (lay-offs) and now suck.

I'm just waiting till we go to Solid Works, 'cause between the interface change and their crappy customer service Siemens has shot their selves in the foot.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back