Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sea State "Survey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTNClimber

Geotechnical
Jul 24, 2018
US
I'm preparing a response to a RFP for a project to re-located a University's sailing team building and pier facilities. They are looking for to have the A/E team survey the existing facilities, including "sea state conditions". While I have asked for clarification on this item I'm stuck wondering: Are there professionals that 'survey' sea state conditions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect they are looking for a met ocean type assessment. A met ocean can comprise the installation of a measurement buoy which will take measurements of the wave height, period and current. They can be installed for any where between a month to years.

This information is typically used for hydrodynamic loading assessments using 1, 10, 100 return periods for wave and current.

Hard to understand how a sailing team would use it. Looking to get an idea of wave and current height and speed to assess how good the sailing will be?

Yes there are.

People like Fugro, HR wallingford, Actimar etc do metocean studies as EireChch has said and I assume many other companies. Tidal and other currents and waves would greatly impact their location as well as wind of course.

depending on the location there could be lots of data or very little already available.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for the responses. There's more than enough data to design new waterfront facilities at the proposed location but maybe they want something more site specific instead of using the FEMA flood maps, available existing data in the area, and local experience. My guess is someone that knows a little about waterfront engineering theory put the RFP together but may not necessarily know how it's typically done in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back