Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sea Water Service Pipeline, 316L?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufasa1

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2002
BE
I am a mechanical engineer at a large petrochemical complex in Turkey. We are located on the seaside and we have decided to feed our fire water pipeline with sea water during an emergency such as lack of fresh water or very low fresh water pressure. In the project the suction line from sea to the main collector (serving three centrifugal pumps) is about 50m long and 24" in diameter. What kind of material is appropriate for the suction line? It will be full of sea water at all times. Is 316L OK? We do not want to have corrosion problem in the near future.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mufasa

I thought I'd seen this thread before, so I just had a look.
This is the fourth time you start a new thread with exactly the same question (26 responses so far on the previous 3 threads) Not to be inpolite but would it not be worth browsing the forums for those answers (and numerous others on same topic) and then ask the question that was not answered? It'll make life easier for others wanting to browse opinions on an interesting topic.

Just type "seawater" in the search box and see what comes out

regards
Mogens

Mogens

Thanks for the feedback. I was not familiar with the site and I tried to catch different views by posting the same question at four different forums. You are right with your point... I thank you and other fellow engineers for the replies and apologize for the matter.

Regards

Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back