Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seal interspace leak test

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred2002

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2002
GB
Greetings!

I have been asked to come up with a method of checking the sealing integrity of a double O-ring static seal arrangement. There is an interspace with a test tapping point. The seals are pressurised from the outside.

The acceptance criteria for the seal integrity is a specific volume of air within a set time with a differential pressure across the seal of 0.2 bar.

The pressure outside the seals will be ambient, and I will create a vacuum within the interspace. The interspace volume is fixed at about 4 litres and over 250 seconds no more than 0.8 litres must enter the interspace.

Do I have enough information to design/specify some test equipment?

Is it just a case of measuring a pressure rise?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So in service is the space between the seals at vacuum? Or is the outside pressurized?
And if test by pulling a vac in between then aren't you testing both o-ring seals at once?
Is the 0.2 bar across one seal or both?
So if you take 4 l to 0.8 bar abs you will have removed 0.8 l of air.
And since that is your leak criteria you can't rely on simple pressure decay.
You could have a larger tank (40 l) that you pump to 0.8bar, and then connect to the test piece with a sensitive flow meter (roughly 3cc/sec at max leak rate).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

That seems to be a very large leak rate for a seal. I believe such a large leak rate would result in soon destroying the seal or it would self-seal to a much lower rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back