Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seal Non-Circular Annular Space 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiowater

Civil/Environmental
Jan 2, 2003
US
We have a project with a new 86" steel pipe penetrating a new large concrete vault. The design called for a pipe sleeve to be cast into the concrete structure and the annular space to be sealed with a modular compression sealing element (e.g. Link-Seal). The vault is about 15 feet underground and somehow the roughy 93" ID sleeve cast into the vault is "non-circular".

The annular space between the 86" pipe and wall sleeve is irregular enough that the compression element cannot expand enough in places around the entire circumference, so Link-Seal has indicated they cannot help us. We are looking for a reliable water-tight solution to help seal the irregular or non-circular annular space between the carrier and casing pipe (wall sleeve), which will have about 12 feet earth cover. Field dimension sheet attached that went to Link-Seal.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

remove the egg shaped sleeve, replace with a properly strutted round sleeve and demand the appropriate installation tolerances?

I would buy some open cell foam rope and a good hydrophilic grout. Check with a few sewer grouting comapnies for what is available. Saturate the rope and put in enough to fill the back 1/3 of the space. Let it cure and fill the rest. you will want to pack the second lift vbery well to give you support for the pipe.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

I'd vote to repour the wall.
As an alternative, I'd let them add a section of concrete 2'-0" larger than the opening on the outside of the wall with the correct sleeve cast in it. It will need to be doweled into the existing wall. Then link seal as designed.
I'd be very careful about rigging something up. Why let the contractor off the hook for sloppy work, especially when this will be leaking for a long time?

See your local grouting contractor.....if he cant help you, you are talking to the wrong contactor. The last time I did something like this , we were designing for 600 feet of hydrostatic head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back