Sealing a rectangular hole on a cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanic77

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2017
IL
Hi all,

I'm a Mechanical design engineer, new to design for sealing.

I was given a task at my workplace, to design a plastic cylinder (made of ABS+PC) with a rectangular hole (for a lens made of HDPE).
The hole for the lens should be sealed to the level of IPx5, without the use of screws/bolts/any kind of fasteners.

please see the attached picture.

the main issue I identified is that if I will use any kind of face gasket, it will be very difficult to seal the surfaces at the sides.

Assuming I will manage to create some kind of force to press the gasket at the front area of the lens (using an additional plastic part, on the inside, which will press the lens against the front area of the enclosure - a "sandwich" configuration: Lens between 2 plastic parts), there will be no such force to press the gasket against the plastic at the sides.

1. Any ideas on how to solve this?
2. How can I ensure proper sealing in such challenging design configuration, around the entire lens?
3. Could someone please refer me to design guide(s) for sealing without fasteners? Does this method (not using fasteners) give reliable results, or there is no way to really seal products reliably without the use of fasteners?

Thanks in advance!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=6c24d2f1-ef60-4679-bec2-d5bcfae471db&file=Sealing_the_lens.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of environment will this be in? Is this a one-off part or will you be making many of these?

An o-ring is certainly a viable option and so is Permatex and Hylomar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back