Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching FOr equivalent Steel Grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's a nominal grade 300 steel. That standard is particularly for flats and hot rolled sections (I-sections, PFC's and angles). Just normal carbon steel with varying CVN values depending on what subgrade you are specifying.

The New Zealand and Australian steel codes are written around Australian, New Zealand, British and Japanese sourced steels. There is no direct equivalence for US material substitutions.

What equivalence are you looking for, using American sections in New Zealand/Australia? Or using Australian sections in America?

I found a copy free on internet

world_steel_zo7v1w.jpg

300 MPa ~= 44ksi for yield strength.

The most common material specs for the types of sections described by Agent666 are A36 (Fy = 36 ksi =~ 250MPa) for Channels, Angles, and Plates and A992 (Fy = 50 ksi =~ 345 MPa) for Wide Flanges/I-sections.

You can get channels/angles/plates in higher grade (50 ksi) steel, but depending on where you are sourcing there may be a cost increase/availability issue. Talk to some local fabricators for more information.

A Grade 50 might do the job as I don't think there's an upper limit on yield,

For S0 seismic subgrade there is, and this would be required for any seismic systems. But OP needs to explain what equivalence they are after here. There is a process for qualifying foreign steels to use in NZ for example, it is expensive and time consuming and mainly directed towards protecting against lower quality Chinese sourced steel. Can offer further advice once OP chips in with further info if that was their intent.

Steveh49, unsure on that. There's certainly some small differences required/allowed in the metallurgy if you review the appropriate tables in 3678.1.

But the main difference as I understand it, is in proving the higher elongation requirements, higher CVN values and upper limits/variation in appendix F. Whether they need to alter the metallurgy for this or if its just a matter of doing the required testing and building up a historic record I'm not sure of? Honestly don't even know if there is a price premium for the S0 grade vs other none/L0/L15 sub grades.

Most of our hot rolled stock in NZ comes from Australia or selected qualified (ACRS?) Mills in Asia as I understand it. I think we only produce some plate, angles and hollow sections here in NZ but could be wrong on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back