Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Searching for special ally steel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVE

Jul 1, 2003
US
Hello,

I am searching for a steel alloy which should have nearly the same thermal expansion coefficient as aluminium alloy (--> alpha = 22.10-6 / °C ).

- Does anyone know a supplier and/or steel center service ?
- In which applications are used such a steel alloy ?

Thank you very much for your help.

All the best,
DVE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Austenitic manganese steel, aka Hadfield’s steel, has a coefficient of thermal expansion about 1.5 times that of ferritic steels. The coefficient is about 18 &[ignore]mu[/ignore];/m/[sup]o[/sup]C at room temperature and 20 &[ignore]mu[/ignore];/m/[sup]o[/sup]C over the range 100-300[sup]o[/sup]C. Measurement was made on a wrought sample of composition 1.22% C, 13.0% Mn alloy which had been heated to 1050[sup]o[/sup]C [solutionizes carbon] and air cooled. The composition corresponds to ASTM A128 Grade B-3 [UNS J91139]. Grades A and B-4 are similar.

Hadfield’s Manganese Steel is still used extensively (with minor alloying changes as in the various ASTM A128 Grades) due to its high toughness, ductility, high work-hardening capacity and good resistance to wear. It is particularly useful for severe service that combines abrasion and heavy impact as in power shovel buckets and teeth, railway uses, rock crushing, etc.

Austenitic manganese steels are typically cast to shape (difficult to machine due to toughness and work hardening). Also, it is normally water quenched after solutionizing in order to yield finer austenite grains and precipitated carbides. It is not normally used above ~260[sup]o[/sup]C longterm (or more than 1 hour at 425[sup]o[/sup]C) due to carbide precipitation and austenite transformation [probably less relevant if originally air cooled]. It is considerably more ductile than ferritic steels at sub-zero temperatures, e.g., 12.3% elongation at -150[sup]o[/sup]C for a 1.4%, 12% Mn steel.

– “Austenitic Manganese Steel,” pp. 568-588 in Metals Handbook, 9th Edn., vol. 3 (1980).

Re Hadfields manganese steel, I'm being quoted some containing 0.77% Mo. I've not come across Mo in Hadfields manganese steel before can anyone tell me what it does?

For wear resisting applications should I use it:-
1) hot rolled and quenched
or
2) hot rolled and air cooled

PeterCharles

In heavy sections Moly is added to get betterproperties.It is always advised to use manganese steel casting in water quenched condition. though for some large castings fast air
cooling is used. For such grades about 4% Ni will be added in addition to 12-13%Mn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back