Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seat Damage in Ball Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

RR05

Mechanical
Jul 7, 2005
US
I have had several ball valves fail because the seat "extrudes" when we close the valve on 150# saturated steam service. When closing the valve, the ball lip graps part of the seat and deforms seat, not letting valve close completly. Is this a condensate problem, P/T rating of seat material or system design conern?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I sounds like the seat is swelling and/or shifting. In steam service I'd check the temperature rating on the valve and make sure you got what you should have gotten. If the seat is "extruding" it sounds like maybe the material got soft with heat. As long as you have designed your system/proceedures to deal with condensation within a shut ball (e.g., specifiy that the cavity on a trunion ball valve must be drained prior to a cold start-up, or using drilled balls on single-direction flow lines) there is nothing inherently wrong with specifying ball valves in steam service.

I've seen balls hook seats, but it was always because the seat was not where it was supposed to be (from swelling in incompatible fluids in my case).

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

Worcester has a technical paper TP12D "Failure analysis of Ball Valves". Your local distributor should have it on a CD-ROM and he can zap you a copy. It has photos of various seat failure modes and it pretty useful.

Basically if the seat is extruding your seat material becomes too soft for the pressure at the working temperature. If your operators are throttling with the ball valve in a partially open condition the assymetrically-supported seat and local high velocity will aggravate the problem. Ball valves for throttling are not the same as off-the-shelf commodity ball valves.

Just guessing, but you are probably using virgin PTFE seats. Loaded or glass-filled seats will be better, or you could go to PEEK or even metal seats. Some tradenames for reinforced PTFE seats are Polyfill and High-Per-Fill. The Metal seats should not be needed for 150 psi saturated steam, but it's an option.

You might also want to look at whether the line upstream of the valve is appropriately steam-trapped, and if the trap is functioning. If the valve is getting liquid condensate, the liquid could be flashing in the valve and causing 2-phase flow with velocity as high as sonic. That's not good for the valve, either, and can cause additional damage besides just sucking the seats out.

The root cause of the failure depends upon the type of ball valve and which, if not both seats are extruding. If it is a trunnion ball, then the seats are not able to handle the pressure & temperature applied. If floating ball, could be a seat design problem, ball port radius manufacturing problem, assembly problem, or product not designed to withstand the application. Knowing ball type and which seat failed will ensure that advice given is accurate and appplicable to your situation.

bcd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back