Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seawater application Flow Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

alprieto2003

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2003
US
Where I work, we are looking for a Paddle Type Flow Switch to be installed on a 1" pipe line on a Seawater application. We have tried plastic and SS316 switches but they are getting corroded and they have stopped working. We think a switch made of Hastelloy C or Titanium should work, but have not been able to find a manufacturer or supplier. This is an industrial application and it has to be a heavy duty unit.

We welcome any suggestions or help on this matter.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why are you limiting yourself to paddle type switches? There are other options with no moving parts and suitable for aggressive media. Which type of plastic has been attacked by seawater? This seems a little odd - Delrin or PTFE would be typical of the plastics used, and they are pretty inert under normal conditions.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Thank you ScottyUK, I did not explain well what happened with the plastic one. It is not sealed and the spring chamber got deposits and stuck the paddle. And the same manufacturer does not have a sealed one on plastic, just in SS316. We have not found a good switch on plastic or PTFE yet.

We are also considering alternates as the Thermal Dispersion ones, but will like to find a suitable paddle one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back