Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seawater induced pitting of SS316L 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

serendepidy

Chemical
Aug 2, 2004
AU
I have a filter constructed from SS316L. It has experienced severe pitting around the sealing faces above and below the gasket.

How can I alleviate the situation to reduce the rate of pitting ? Should coatings be used or cathodic protection ?

What is the best way to rebuild the face of the seal so that we can return the filter to service ? Epoxy, machining or other ?

Any ideas wouold be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without any details, I offer the following:
1. Pitting of stainles steel under a gasket or o-ring is almost textbook-common.
2. If your filter has enough bulk to it and you can afford it, probably the best solution is to grind out the area under ther sealing surfaces (on both flange faces, say 1/8th inch deep, and 1/4 inch wider than the gasket), weld-cald a more noble material (inconel, for example), machine back to a smooth surface, and re-install. This is a great, albeit expensive fix.

The real problem is that someone put the wrong alloy into serivce. Sealing surfaces need to be a better alloy. Either weld overlay like mshimko suggested, or weld the unit to a new ring/flange.
The 6%Mo stainlesses will etch in seawater with tight crevices, but they are usually good enough. If you want something perfect go to a "C" type Ni-Cr-Mo alloy.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion, every where, all the time.
Manage it or it will manage you.

Does anyone think the rate of this corrosion mechanism could be exacerbated by MIC. This is a seawater system.

We have decided to use fibreglass filter to replace the SS316L from service. This seems the cheapest options. Any other cheap options ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back