Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

second interview with presentation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpark247

Electrical
Aug 26, 2015
US
I was accepted for a second interview which requires a short presentation on a project I worked on.

Does anyone have any advice on what type of presentation or the below options?

this is for a program management position, a few options I could think of...
1)Informative....present a business plan for my last project with cost justification, timeline, etc.
2)Pursuasice.....present a summary of my last project with my roles/responsibility and how that has prepared me for applied job.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems to me you should have asked them what they wanted to see. Barring that, the theme should be "Why you should hire me," without necessarily saying so.

TTFN
faq731-376
Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

I think my last sentence still applies. Ultimately, they need to be able to know positively that you will help solve their problems.

TTFN
faq731-376
Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

What you did that was directly responsible for the success of a project and how that translates to the role that you are interviewing for.

Try to show them that you have skills they need and avoid showing any lack of skills that they need. Demonstrate your capability and they might be leaving the requirements for the presentation loose to judge your ability to adapt.

Maine Professional and Structural Engineer
American Concrete Industries

Look at a couple past projects and answer this question several ways:
"Why would this project have gone to hell without me?"
That's essentially what you're trying to get hired to do - solve or prevent their problems on current/future projects.
Make sure you can explain or quantify your reason if needed.

To further the above, documenting how you added value, by cost savings, efficiency, new procedures, safety, etc. are simplistic points that should be easily understood by the hiring panel. By the way, safety is rarely capitalized upon during these types of summaries. Managers understand how working safely affect their bottom line.

No one has touched on just how to do it. If you have not had a course in public speaking, review a paper or two on what to do and what not to do. In time you will probably be asked to be on a promotion team for getting new work. How you do the talking job is much more important than just what the work job is. Minimum notes and "look 'em in the eye". No "uh's" either. Pick one person and talk directly to them.

May not apply in your case, I was in a similiar situation a few years back where they wanted to see if I'm serious (applied out of a longer employment gap, they thought I was a slacker) - so apply yourself. In my case it worked. Pick the topic and question that lets you highlight your strneghts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back