Status
Not open for further replies.

margas64

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2004
IT
Second Party Inspection VS Third Party Inspection
Hi,
I’m a young Italian inspector in pressure vessels and it’s the first time that I write in this friendly forum.
I have some trouble to understand the differences (in practice) between a Second Party and a Third Party Inspection.

2nd Party: Client Inspector > Code & Standards & Project Specifications compliance verification? Inspection Release Certificate issued on behalf of Client?
3rd Party: Independent Inspection Body > Code & Standards only? Inspection Release Certificate issued on Inspection Agency name?

Why usually 2nd party is chipper than 3rd party?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Marcello

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi and welcome here,

2nd party is a inspection by personell independent from the production (usally the QC/QA of the company).
So you have to pay them anyway and it gets cheaper;)

3rd party is somone totally independent from the manufacturer/company. (like Lloyds Register, TÜV, and so on).

third party does not have a direct interest/role in the production evaluation.

the first party is the buyer, the second party is the manufacturer, the third party is the independent that verifies compliance to buyer specifications and any industry codes and standards.

you as the buyer are already paying the manufacturer to produce a product and their QA/QC is built into the price of the product.

a third party provides an inspection release notice to the buyer/manufacturer then the buyer issues a shipping release notice to the manufacturer.

a third party gives a level of comfort to the buyer that the manufacturer "says what he does and does what he says".

I fully agree to what above stated.
Moreover, with reference to EN10204 3.2, consider that many manufaturers carry out pre-tests before notifying a Third Party for "official" test.
Manufacturer always try to discharge such costs on buyer, having as a result a more expensive price than a standard Second Party inspection

if the contract calls out 3.2 material certification then that would be considered in the cost of the product.

that is standard practice.

In most cases I've seen, "third party" is paid for by "first party". Which makes it not true "third party". But it's shorter than saying "buyer's contract inspector".

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back