Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary Outflow Versus Primary Outflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

login67

Civil/Environmental
May 30, 2006
US
I have a scenario where in a storm sewer modeled as a pond discharges flows from the seocondary outlet but zero flow from the primary outlet despite the fact that the primary outlet invert is far below the secondary invert.The secondary outlet invert elevation is set at the catchbasin grate elevation. How is this possible? One w Thanks.ill expect the primary outlet to first discharge before the secondary. Your help is highly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have a close look at the pond summary report. A discharge multiplier of zero will effectively "turn off" the outlet. There could also be tailwater. Any of these conditions (and others) will be indicated in the summary report.

If you still have questions please post the HydroCAD project file or a PDF of the pond summary report.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

I looked at the discharge multiplier in the pond window as it is set to 1 and not zero. I have attached the file for your review. Thank you for all your help. You have been extremely supportive. Thanks again

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=39f452a1-6e12-4d9a-ba03-4ee8a00c7cdb&file=zero_primary_outflow.hcp
There is no primary discharge because the pond's maximum WSE of 4.36' is below the 6.20' tailwater created by the storage invert in the next node.

The pond summary report tells all: Scroll down through the report to the device analysis:
Primary Outflow max=0.00 .... TW=6.20'

Looking at the downstream pond, the storage begins at 6.20', higher than the "upper" node. This creates a culvert tailwater condition that is never exceeded by the upper pond, so no culvert discharge occurs. Perhaps there's an error in the elevation data in the "lower" pond?

BTW, your overflow grate is currently not routed, to the entire outflow is basically discarded. I suspect you want to route the (secondary) overflow to the next node, along with the primary.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

You are right. I had the wrong tail water elevation in the downstream pond. I fixed it and it works. As always, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back