Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Secondary Stiffening-Cone Tank API 650, 1961

Status
Not open for further replies.

LurmClaxton

Petroleum
Apr 12, 2013
GB
We have a number of cone tanks at our facility which I believe were built to an early 60's API650. They do not have any external stiffening rings.

They have not suffered from internal shell corrosion and the shells are effectively at nominal thickness. My interpretation of 60's API 650 is that cone tanks not built to App D don't require secondary stiffening.

Would people agree that non ADB cone tanks don't need secondary stiffening (to code).

Also does anyone know how I can get hold of a API 650 first edition. I can't find any for sale :(

Thanks in Advance

Lurm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

External stiffening rings are not an inherent requirement. Per the current standard (and for quite a few years past), you checked the shell for the need of external stiffeners based on as-built shell thickness. In a lot of cases, tanks simply don't require any external stiffening. In a lot of cases, it is more economical to increase the shell thickness rather than add the stiffeners. Due to differences in time and material rates, that determination will vary from time to time, from contractor to contractor, from place to place.
If the tanks are in place, I can't think why you'd go back and start trying to re-evaluate a design feature per the original standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back