Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Section through part

Status
Not open for further replies.

guimba

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2009
US
Hello, I've seen many parts in the past sectioned like the one uploaded, but I can't seem to get Section View to do that. When it takes out both planes I'm left with a quarter of the part, not 3/4 like I simulated. What am I not doing right? Thanks!

Mechanical Engineer
Field Forensics, Inc.

Engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources. - Randy Pausch

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

guimba,

My SW2011 cannot read your part.

It sounds like you are trying to do a quarter section. I do this by creating a quarter section configuration of the part, creating a quarter section sketch, and extruding it. I attach it to my drawing.

I have never actaully done this with a part. I do it to assemblies so that I get clearer assembly drawings.

Critter.gif
JHG

Hmm, I see what you're saying. Sounds like work. Too bad I wouldn't be able to selectively section, like showing turbine blades within a cut housing. Thanks for the idea.

Mechanical Engineer
Field Forensics, Inc.

Engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources. - Randy Pausch

guimba,

Actually, what I am doing is quite simple. If I do my cutting at the assembly level, I can exclude the turbine blades from the cut. The only labourious part is manually applying the crosshatches.

Critter.gif
JHG

Yep, that would work. Thanks again for all the inputs.

Mechanical Engineer
Field Forensics, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back