Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Section Views and Detail Views for multi sheet drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfg11eng11guy

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2014
US
Are there any standards or rule of thumbs out there for Section View/Detail View labeling (A, B, C...) for multiple sheet drawings?

Example: Mechanical Drawing has a 5 sheet drawing.
Sheet 1 has section view AA, does the Section View on sheet 2 need to be BB, or anything different than AA?

Please Advise

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See ASME Y14.3.

Per ASME Y14.3 Section 6.5 Cross-Referencing Views "View identification letters shall not be repeated on more than one view. Only one set of alpha characters shall be
used per drawing for naming views of all types without repeating the same letters on more than one view. For example, for a drawing consisting of three named views
of either the same or different types (a section view, a removed view, and a detail view) the views would be named SECTION A-A, VIEW B-B, and DETAIL C."

If it is exactly the same view I'd argue you can show it more than once - though this shouldn't often be required.

(Thanks marshell for saving me some typing.)

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I agree with KENAT regarding showing the exact same view more than once, though I would append the label with a descriptor to note the intent of the duplicate view.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back