Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Section VIII, Div 2 Exemption 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesBarlow

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2002
US
My employer just came across AG-121 in Section VIII, Dev 2. This section details the classes of vessel which are exempted from the scope of the division.

He is particularly interested in part i, which states that vessels having an inside diameter not exceeding 6" is exempted. He is reading this to indicate that the vessel is expemted from any form of ASME code. I have told him that this just counts for Div II and that exemption means that this will be a Div III vessel (our working pressure is 30,000 PSI).

Can anyone give any insight into who is right, and what are the ramifications if he tries to sell a vessel without a code stamp that does require one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

James,
You are correct in saying this is now a DivIII vessel. As far as the consequences for trying to sell a nonstamped vessel, I would feel safe in saying the vessel will not be able to be sold. As a inspector I know I wouldn't buy this vessel until all documentation and reports are correct with the stamp applied! Hope this helps and good luck

James,
My first post is correct, DivI and DivII put an exemption on your vessel as indicated by your employer. But DivIII picks up where the others leave off. This is a DivIII vessel according to the pressure you indicate and does not get exempted from the rules of construction. The problem is going to be that you will have a non code compliant vessel if all documentation and stamping is not followed. Now again this vessel without the proper stamping and documentation will not be able to be sold, so in fact it sounds like your employer is making a vessel for practice! I hope this helps.

Article KG-1 of Div. 3 states that "it is not the intent of this Division to establish maximum nor minimum pressure limits for either Section VIII, Division 1 or 2, nor minimum pressure limits for this Division." Using Div. 3 for high pressure (over 10 ksi) provides better engineering and design to the vessel; however, it is not required.
Article KD-1, KD-100(c) gives exemptions for small research laboratory vessels.
Whether or not your vessel is stamped, and to what Division it is stamped may also depend on the jurisdiction where it will be installed. Some exempt all vessels under a certain size, while others have no Code requirements at all.

Your pressure item should be designed to some standard or Code. Check out where the items is going to be used, there may be additional jurisdiction requirements.
The term exempted does not mean you cannot design to Section VIII using good engineering practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back