Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SECTIONING LARGE ASSEMBLIES 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

designmr

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
US
Thank you in advance.

I am using Premium 2018 X64, Sp3.0. {Window 10 Pro, 64GB Ram, 64 bit Operating I7-7700CPU @ 4.20GHz}

With regards to sectioning a large assembly in a drawing. The Assembly in question is about 64MB and contains approx 20,000 parts. All Speedpaks are turned off, since I know you can not section anything (it seems) with Speedpaks on.

When I TRY and do a section it just (after 1-1/2 hours) does not want to create a section. Is there a setting in Solidworks that maybe I can adjust? I tried maybe adding a CUT feature in the assembly. BUT Solidworks will NOT allow me to create a cut thru this many parts.

Very frustrated with this...

ADVICE??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi designmr,
I have no advice to offer but know that I will be eagerly reading this to learn what you learn. Similar system specs, similar purposes, similar model complexity, here.

If you happen to discover a solution elsewhere, please come back to tell us, too.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
STF

I would also suggest that you use Speedpack. I had a similar assembly a couple of years ago (APEX 4 BOXX, overclocked CPU, 32GB RAM, P4000 VC, etc...) and just moving the assembly on the screen was rough. I made a Speedpack configuration and it was like night and day.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back