Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Secure 6061 Aluminum to Concrete 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
What is the best post-applied fastener to secure an aluminum 6061 frame to concrete to minimise galvanic corrosion. I know the aluminum has to be isolated from the concrete for alkalinity reasons.
Thanks, in advance...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?
-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was thinking of a spacer that kept them from contact. My biggest concern is the galvanic corrosion of the fastener and the aluminum.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?
-Dik

If you can air gap it, it will never sit in standing water so the galvanic corrosion problem should be minimal. Think of an aluminum wheel fastened to a steel brake rotor with steel fasteners. You can also isolate the fasteners using hard fiber washers made from materials like Garolite G-10.

Thanks... used an EPDM separator.

-Dik

That will likely work but I used the air gap term because aluminum is subject to crevice corrosion. Due to the uneven surface of concrete, a rubber isolator may not seal very well against the aluminum and may create many sites for crevice corrosion. You can be the judge on that.

I wasn't aware of crevice corrosion... need a smooth concrete surface with smooth neoprene. Thanks... I posted this in structures for additional response...

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back