Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

security for buried tubes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

apa

Civil/Environmental
Dec 17, 1999
BR
Hi!<br>
Did someone already hear to speak in the technical means, of a procedure of covering the tube, after some embankment centimeters, with a cheap mesh of expanded plastic?.<br>
Its usefulness for example, to Protect the sought tube, of an accidental excavation, even when you know about its exact position, because you find the plastic first. This mesh, alert the operator of the machine of its proximity.<br>
My interest, if you can help me, it is to know the technical term for its description, and it seeks of a maker, if exists.<br>
<br>
<br>
Aldo Passalacqua, eng.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

try USA bluebook 800 548 1234. Burial warning tape

Thank you Rosebud<br>
<br>
I had try to make contact with some industry I found in the yahoo search and do not received any return. Do you know some industry to make contact?<br>
I wil need some samples of this material and more especifications. There are some clientes mine very interested.<br>
<br>
Aldo Passalacqua

Here is a sample specification for warning tape<br>
<br>
PLASTIC MARKING TAPE<br>
<br>
Plastic marking tape shall be acid and alkali-resistant polyethylene film, 6 inches wide with minimum thickness of 0.004 inch. Tape shall have a minimum strength of 1750 psi lengthwise and 1500 psi crosswise. The tape shall be manufactured with integral wires, foil backing or other means to enable detection by a metal detector when the tape is buried up to 3 feet deep. The tape shall be of a type specifically manufactured for marking and locating underground utilities. The metallic core of the tape shall be encased in a protective jacket or provided with other means to protect it from corrosion. Tape color shall be as specified in TABLE 1 and shall bear a continuous printed inscription describing the specific utility.<br>
<br>
TABLE 1. TAPE COLOR<br>
<br>
Color Utility<br>
Red Electric<br>
Yellow Gas, Oil, Dangerous Materials<br>
Orange Telephone, Telegraph, Television, Police, Fire Communications<br>
Blue Water Systems<br>
Green Sewer Systems<br>
<br>
<br>
Warning tapes shall be installed directly above the pipe, at a depth of 18 inches below finished grade unless otherwise shown.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back