Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Security Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

houtanr

Automotive
Nov 29, 2004
IR
Hi,

We are a newly stablished Automoitve design center and we are reconsidering our Security policy. At the time none ofthe engineers do have the permission to copy any files to a CD or Floppy disk and they can not enen attach any files to their emails.

I would like to know how is this handeled in your company?

Ragards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally, I think that's an absurd policy. We work in the defense industry and we have no such restrictions because the engineers understand what they should and should not do on their own.

You are strangling information flow and productivity.

Treat your engineers like common criminals and you will foster criminal behavior.

TTFN

The Pharaohs used to bury with them, the chief engineer who built their pyramid, thereby ensuring security of the design.

Occasionally it worked for a few thousand years.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I like the inference that the engineers can't be trusted with the data, but presumably whoever communicates with customers and suppliers, you know, the real professionals in the sales force and purchasing, can be trusted.

I agree, there is an issue here, but stupid restrictions are not the way to go.

Mind you, if Burglar Bill stole my home PC he'd have some pretty interesting files (in a nerdy kind of way)- but far less damaging and comprehensible than the spreadsheets on the tens of manager's laptops nicked or lost every year.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Maybe it implies that the engineers are the ones who are in possession of the only really valuable material.

Maybe that then implies that the engineers are the only ones to really add value.

Maybe that implies that the engineers should be on the highest salary, as they are entrusted with the most valuable task and information.

Maybe it simply means that a manager does not realise that an engineer cannot do his work effectively if he cannot communicate as required and appropriate.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au

OK, it worked once for a few thousand years.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au

There is a lot of disagreement as to exactly WHAT the pyramids were for, when they were built, or my whom.
An arguement that probably will not be settled to everyones anyones satisfaction. The gravesites were in other areas, eg. the Valley of Kings.

To the original question---If no other reason makes sense to the bean counters, then "industrial espionage" is the final word. 'Sorta like "safety" ends any conversation on the jobsite about just about any production issue.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back