Security 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neak1

Computer
Sep 10, 2001
US
Hello Members,

I have designed a database in Access 97 now I want to secure it. The only problem that I am having is that I don't want to have to enter in the hundreds of users and ID's because the database is to short on a LAN. Is there a way that I can hide the database window from the users. I have tried to use the StartUp and Hide but some of the users have gotten tricky and they know how to unhide it. I was thinking that I could save the database as an MDE file but it still allows the users to see the datasheet view of the table and that is what I don't want. The only thing that I want them to be able to do is see the form in form view. No tables, No code etc. What can I do. I am sure this can be done because I have seem other applications with the same feature. But How!!!!!!

Please Help
Neaka

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Neak1 -

You can set "users" as a group under tools-security. Take away the table and query access for the "users" group and you'll be OK. You can go through the "security wizard" if you like ... it's pretty self-explanatory and creates a separate database for distribution.

Hope this helps,
Moz.

I had the same problem not too long ago....
There are a few ways around it (it all depends on how much security is required):
1. Set the properties for each of the tables/queries/forms etc to hidden. These can then only be viewed by selecting to see "hidden objects" in the tools/options menu
2. If you rename the tables/queries to include "usys" as a prefix, it becomes a system object ie. table named "tablef", change to "usystablef". These can then only be viewed by selecting to see "system objects" in the tools/options menu
3. a) Have the only form you want displayed as the startup form (in the tools/startup menu)
b) Make the form an .mde (which hides all the code)
c) Customise the menu for the form to remove all the buttons not required
d) Download the file "C2DbProperties" from the following location this file allows you to set the database properties ie. you will want to set the "AllowBypasskey" to false. This way when users start the D'base, the startup form will appear, and holding the shift key will not bypass the startup sequence (this can be done by programming, but it's easier to use the above download)

Hope it works!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back