Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seek NDT tools : Crack detection with Red and white paint 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tplyme

Materials
May 16, 2001
HK
I would like to know how I can obtain the tools for crack detection on metal surface with "paint" method. Someone tells me that there is a special tool which consists of red and white paints. After applying the two paints, the cracks will be "stained" red. Then, it is easy to see a red crack on the white surface. Does anybody provide me this information? Anyone knows this product?
Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This method is called Liquid penetrant

Here is the procedure:

LIQUID PENETRANT TEST PROCEDURE

SCOPE
Test procedure for inspecting welds and castings for cracks and pores using liquid penetrant.

MATERIAL
Dynaflux, Inc. Cleaner CNF315
Dynaflux, Inc. Penetrant PHF315
Dynaflux, Inc. Developer DNF315

PROCEDURE

1.1. CLEAN
1.1.1. Use cleaner to pre-clean before testing.
1.1.2. Apply a wet film to the part, allowing for adequate solvent time, and wipe clean with cotton clothe.
1.1.3. Repeat until clean.
1.1.4. Allow part to dry.

1.2. APPLY PENETRANT
1.2.1. Spray penetrant onto the area to be examined, wetting the surface well.
1.2.2. Allow 1 to 30 minutes before removing the excess penetrant. (Depend upon the crack size and contamination.
1.2.3. Remove the excessive penetrant, spray cleaner on a clean cloth and wipe surface.

1.3. DEVELOP
1.3.1. Thoroughly shake until the agitator clicks against the bottom and sides of the can.
1.3.2. Spray a thin even coat on the suspected area.
1.3.3. Allow a developing time of 5 to 15 minutes, then inspect. Red lines indicate a crack and red dots indicate mark pores.

Hope this helps, Rich

No,I am not pushing Dynaflux, It is just what I had on my handy at my desk when I posted this. I just copied one of the procedures from my files and posted. Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back