Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seeking a Fortran compiler (cheap & simple) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denial

Structural
Jun 3, 2003
AU
I am seeking recommendations for a Fortran compiler to resuscitate a very old program so that it will run under present versions of Windows.[ ] Hopefully this is the appropriate forum for such a request.

I wrote the program many years ago, using what I believe was called "standard subset" Fortran[ ]77.[ ] The program involves no graphical input or output.[ ] It simply reads a text file that describes the problem, does a heap of calculations, then presents its results in another text file.[ ] Back about 22[ ]years ago I ported it from mainframe computers to run on MS[ ]DOS and/or Windows[ ]95 computers, using "Microsoft Fortran77 V3.31, August[ ]1985".[ ] This seemed to comprise several components, files such as FOR1.EXE, PAS2.EXE, PAS3.EXE, LINK.EXE, FORTRAN.LIB and MATH.LIB.[ ] I never really understood how it all hung together, but it produced *.EXE files that ran fine.

Having ported it, I used it on numerous projects over the next few years, but then I changed employment.[ ] Although I took the program with me (it correctly being recognised as my intellectual property rather than my employer's) I had no cause to use it.[ ] At some stage, after I moved to some new version of Windows, it ceased to run, but since I was not using it "in battle" I did not attempt to get it running.[ ] I am now effectively fully retired, and I would like to get the program running again so that I can place it in the public domain.[ ] I do not wish to change it in any way:[ ] all interactions between the program and its user are satisfactorily accommodated via the two text files mentioned above.[ ] Graphics not required.

Hence my request for a compiler recommendation.[ ] The simpler the better, because I suspect that I will have quite a learning mountain to climb.[ ] And the cheaper the better, preferably free, because for a retiree money is harder to find than time.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, 3DDave.[ ] I started at the top of the list, with "GNU Fortran Compiler".[ ] After a VERY frustrating few hours playing headless chook, while I located, downloaded and ran stuff (because I no longer have much conceptual understanding of these sorts of things), I now have an installed compiler that will compile code and produce an executable from it.[ ] I have even tested it successfully on a ten-line Fortran program.

I don't want to press my luck too hard, so I am now going to quit while I am ahead.[ ] Will take up the cudgels again soon.

Many thanks, Doug.[ ] I had already got through most of the potential troublespots you mention in your blog post.[ ] However it alerted me to a way of solving one of my remaining, annoying but not absolutely vital, problems.[ ] This is the one I asked about in my 02Mar22@02:05 post on this forum, about how to avoid having to distribute .DLL files with the executable program file. You alerted me to the -static compiler option which does the trick.[ ] This option is not described in any documentation that came with my GFortran download.[ ] The option -static-somelibraryname was documented, but this did not fully solve my problem because it did not seem to work for the quadmath library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back