Seeking a reference or guide for engineering with ceramic materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machina

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2003
GB
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a book or other reference that would serve as a guide for using engineering ceramics in mechanical engineering? When I search for ceramic engineering books I seem to find books about how to make them rather than how to use them.

I've often found myself working on designs for machines where some of the properties of ceramics look very attractive but then there may be issues with, for example, tensile loading.

I don't have a specific question and it is mainly to fill in a gap in my knowledge at this time so I don't it'd be sensible to start asking a manufacturer for details; I'd just be asking loads of questions with no strong prospect of a sale and be wasting there time at this stage. But I'll happily consider any recommendations from a manufacturer.

I've come across terms such as Weibull Modulus and am starting to get to grips with that side of things but a good reference book would be really helpful. I'm a fairly experienced engineer so the book doesn't need to cover the engineering basics (but it never hurts to go over them again) but would need to be quite introductory with regard to ceramics.

Any help will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Coors has always been helpful to me.
If you search for 'technical ceramics' or 'engineered ceramics' you may find more sources.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Thanks for those suggestions. I've downloaded some information from both Coorstek and Kyocera.

I've been looking at Brevier Technical ceramics website to try to get some understanding:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.keramverband.de/brevier_engl/brevier.htm[/url]
(thought I'd put that link here in case anyone else has the same question, it might help them).

But I'm struggling a bit with some of the information from all of these. For example, in some of the applications I'm looking at there can be expected to be some tensile loading. A lot of websites treat this vaguely by giving approximate figures for how much weaker the ceramic will be in tension compared to compression, or they just flat out say don't do it!

I'll look through the information I've downloaded and maybe it'll become obvious.

Thanks to those who've posted replies. If anyone has any other tips, they would be gratefully received.

Any of these technical ceramics are actually fairly strong in tension, but ....
1. If there is any tension combined with bending you are in trouble
2. How will you transmit the tension loading without causing local stresses (at the connection) to be too high?
That is why you don't do it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back