Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden State EE

Electrical
Jun 11, 2024
US
Dear Engineering Community,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am currently working on a project involving a 12kV distribution system, and I am looking for advice on effective methods to lower the fault current. This is a critical aspect of our system's reliability and safety, and any insights or recommendations from experienced engineers would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically, I am interested in:

[ul]
[li]Proven techniques or technologies that have been successful in similar applications[/li]
[li]Any considerations or best practices to keep in mind during implementation[/li]
[li]Potential challenges or pitfalls to be aware of[/li]
[li]Recommendations for further reading or resources[/li]
[/ul]
Thank you in advance for your time and expertise. I look forward to your valuable suggestions.

Best regards,
Golden State EE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Higher source impedance, that's how you lower fault current.

Smaller transformers in substations, less intermeshing of the transmission network, no networking at the distribution level. Open ties rather than closed ties. Anything else you can do to increase source impedance.

But unless the fault currents are way outside the norms the attempts to reduce fault current levels could have multiple adverse impacts.

When one this sentence into the German to translate wanted, would one the fact exploit, that the word order and the punctuation already with the German conventions agree.

-- Douglas Hofstadter, Jan 1982

The solution on lowering fault current somewhat depends on what fault current you are trying to reduce. Three phase, phase to phase, or phase to ground.

@cranky108 We are trying to lower the three phase fault current at the secondary of the substation transformer so that when we perform "make before breaker" switching, the fault current wouldn't go over the equipment ratings.

That’s why you start out the transformer selection process by considering two of them in parallel.

I suppose that you could have a reactor between the buses that is in while both sources are paralleled and then bypassed when one of the sources is removed.

When one this sentence into the German to translate wanted, would one the fact exploit, that the word order and the punctuation already with the German conventions agree.

-- Douglas Hofstadter, Jan 1982

Over the years, on the construction side I have installed more than one reactor to limit fault currents.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back