Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking advice on professional Catia training. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

renatdavodov

Aerospace
Sep 1, 2014
GB
Dear all,

I am currently a University student and 3D design is my most favourite subject since college.
Unfortunatelly due to some circumstances in personal life I will be graduating with a 3rd class Degree, although on all design and manufacture modules I've scored 75%+.

Due to the 3rd grade Degree it will be hard to interest an employer giving me a graduate job and therefore I have several questions some of you might be able to answer:

* I am currently self learning to master Catia V5 as much as possible through available tutorials, but will the employer be interested in seeing a portfolio full of products from Catia which were designed with the help of tutorials?

* I've seen professional training available which teaches basics most of the time, at the cost of around £800. Would it still be worth doing to present any kind of certificates to an employer or just a waste of money?

* If you was (or you are now) an employer, what would you be surprised or glad to see from a perspective graduate employee to prove his passion and skills in design?

* Apart from actual Catia modelling skills, what other important aspects should be taken care of to form a full package?

* How important would learning to use FEA and CAD/CAM on a good level would be to an employer?

I understand obviously the more you learn the better but I would like someones advice from an industry to help me and guide me for a better outcome overall.

Thanks in advance to all and please share any tips/experience you might have.

Regards, Renat.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have a basic ability to model and surface parts, make drawings, and build products with proper constraints and links, then you should be able to get an entry level position with most companies that use CATIA V5. Most employers don't care about a portfolio, but they will usually ask you to pass a timed test demonstrating your CATIA V5 skills. What employers usually look for is your ability to make a clean, compact model and product structure with stable links. It is especially helpful if you have experience using some of the more common PDM applications, since using these tools properly is just as important as using CATIA V5.

First of all, thank you for your response!

I understand that basic skills might be enough but when there are so many graduates applying at the same time, the employer is not going to consider me with my 3rd class degree and basic skills.

As I ended up with a grade like that, I need to really master and show skills in modelling ect to impress and be considered for the role, hence the thread.

In the meantime, do you think, if I contact several companies would they be able to consider someone as a volunteer in their design group or employers don't find it beneficial?

Thank you!

Hello Renat...
I would suggest to be prepared for the entry level screening and aptitude test. If you score good in tests, probably you need to undergo model tests and then you can show your skills by completing model and drawing in minimum time. Also note that while creating a model most of the time employer does not consider dimensional accuracy but will look for how good you understood the drawing and how fast you are for converting ideas into reality.
While creating model, note following points
1. Try to avoid use of advanced features.. that may make it complex.
2. Your model should be easily modifiable.
3. It should be understandable by everyone.
4. Try to create parameters for major features like, draft angle, fillets, any major dimensions.
5. Make it simple.
....many more to add
Also if possible create your own models in catia like for consumer products and automobiles and can take a color print with you. This way you can show your skills during interview.

All the best...!!!

Regards,
Rangrao

renatdavodov-

Your situation is the reason why I encourage all university engineering students to make an effort to get as many internships as they can with companies in the business sector they want to get a job in after graduation. The most important factor with finding a good job are the personal contacts you make in the industry. Your chances of getting hired for an engineering job simply by submitting a resume and cover letter are exactly zero. But if you are recommended for a position by someone in the company you know, you have an excellent chance of getting hired.

I recall the first offer I received for a CATIA V4 designer position from Boeing CAG many years ago. I had no experience using CATIA V4, but I did have experience with other CAD systems. Boeing desperately needed CAD designers at the time, so they offered to provide me 2 weeks of CATIA V4 training for no pay and no cost. After the training I was given a 2 week contract job with the structures group at Boeing Renton, and if I demonstrated to my lead I was worth keeping, I would be given a long term contract. I ended up working there for around 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back