Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seeking ASTM Equivalant & filler metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2023
DZ
Hi expert

Can any one help me to find ASTM Equivalant for commercial designation metal ALUMOLD 400, i have done somme research i found ASTM B 373 and ASTM B 479, can any one tell me if it is a true or non the uns Number is UNS A94145 i cann't find it in the ASTM Standard.
i would like to weld this metal, can any one help to find the filler metal, after my research i found AA 5180 and AA4115 but i did not find the AWS equivalant, please share your experience

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The UNS book does call out the specifications this material falls under. There are no ASTM specifications covering it. However, weld metal is called out in ASME SFA5.10/AWS A5.10 (ER4145), plus ASME SFA5.85.8 (BAISI-3). Base metal specifications include AMS 4148, AMS-B-20148, and ISO 18273.

ISO 18273 is also for filler metals, not for base metal.

Google says that Alumold 400 is a 5xxx alloy but based on 7xxx chemistry. Weldability depends highly on the chem. composition.
Seeing it's a high-strength alloy (400 MPa, as the name implies), an AlMg based filler should be best suitable. 5180 as you mentioned complies with this, so it's not a bad place to start.
Doesn't AWS A5.10 uses the same 4 digit code for alu filler materials as ISO? 5356, 5183, 5180, ... should be the same in either code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back