Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seeking Guidance: Flow Capacity of 18" Gooseneck Type Free Vent for API 650 Tank Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmallInfo

Petroleum
Oct 30, 2017
PK
Hello experts,

I'm new to tank design and currently searching for information on the flow capacity of a 18" gooseneck type free vent. Unfortunately, the catalogues I've come across only list sizes up to 12". If anyone has access to a catalogue that includes 16" diameter free gooseneck vents or can guide me on how to calculate this, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Additionally, if there's a formulated sheet or resource you could share with me, it would be incredibly helpful in understanding the calculations needed for this design aspect.
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASHRAE has duct-flow factors available for ells, screens, inlets/outlets, etc., that can be applied as an approximation. In the older info, that is all in the "Handbook of Fundamentals", not sure about where it's at in newer literature.

OP,
You can do a hydraulic area calculation for the 18", then do it for a 12" or 10", then add the individual flow rates that are available. It doesn't need to be exact, you just need to show that the 18" will pass the required flow rate.

Go see API 2000.

But you need to define your max tank pressure.

If it's API 650 the lowest is 4 inches of water column.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back