Seeking magnetic induction software recommendation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcavender

Electrical
May 31, 2018
US
Hello all!

I am looking for a software that would allow me to simulate/compute induced AC voltage in a coil. VIZ:

A coil of n=100 turns with a centerline diameter d of approximately 6”.

At the bottom of this coil there is a magnetic circuit around that part of the coil with inside/outside diameters Di & Do, width w, perm/saturation as knowns that allow a sinusoidal flux to flow in the magnetic circuit at low to medium frequencies.

I would like to configure the software so that I could modify the variables relatively quickly to develop a feel (education) of how these factors interplay as well as what induced voltage is produced.

Given that this is a non-commercial self-training process, open source or under $500 cost software is needed. Software designed to be subscription-licensed across a phalanx of engineers at Mega-Company HQ isn’t an economic option for this bootstrapping/learning process

For those of you that have experience with using mag software(s), what packages would you recommend to put this together in a sensible learning curve time?

All comments, out-of-the-box ideas and suggestions welcome!!!

B

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mike,
Most EXCELLENT!!!

You have compiled a broad and valuable resource there. It will be a big help!

I am in your debt…

Best regards,
B

Mike or Others,

Elementary question.

I see a number of 2D packages that essentially develop a single plane of a magnetic circuit.

I wish to calculate a flux density at some point in the structure, but the model has no information that the magnetic conductor is an eighth of an inch deep or 5 inches.

I am missing some assumption or there is a big hole in my understanding. Digging around on the net this morning didn’t turn up any resolution to help my understanding of how you sim a real world magnetism conductor or a simple magnet with only 2D information.

Appreciate anyone that can help me see how to get past this wall.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

You're jumping a little too deep at this point. I recommend using the following FEMM example/tutorial, it'll help:
There are many, many other examples available on the FEMM Wiki. I recommend going through a number of them. They'll teach you the quirks of the software as well as deepen your understanding of magnetics.

In your original post, you described a cylindrical geometry. That is typically modeled as rotationally symmetric and FEMM is very well suited for that. Your latest post describes a 2D geometry. Going to non-cylindrical geometries involves some trade-offs, but it's best to get comfortable with rotationally symmetric models first.

Mike,

Will follow your suggestion. Thanks for your direction to line me up on a workable approach. Let’s see if I can backfill what I am missing.

Best regards,
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back