Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking Metallurgical Lab Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest102023

Materials
Feb 11, 2010
CA
Hi all,

I'm being pushed to build my own home met lab by sharply rising costs and increasing turnaround times of the labs I occasionally use. Most of my work involves carbon steel, often with welds, to support my failure investigations. Nothing that requires specialized tools or techniques.

I am looking for low-priced sources, used or new, for the following:
[ol 1]
[li]- Metallograph with digital camera. I don't require anything fancy like imaging software or even a live link to a monitor. Just a small consumer-sized camera sitting on top of the eyepiece tube.[/li]
[li]- Vickers microindentation hardness tester. 1,000g maximum load but I’ll settle for 500g.[/li]
[/ol]

I already have most of the grinding and polishing necessities including a mounting press (thanks to a lab clear-out at the local community college). I have a machine shop partner for breaking down the big samples.

I've set a budget of C$3,000, which is the cost of two to three small lab subcontracts. I'm happier to buy used Western-made equipment than new Eastern stuff, even though it might cost more.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. One limitation is the essentially closed US/Canada border, making importation more expensive than pre-Covid.

Thanks in advance.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Think of the places where you could get such instruments.

One is obviously engineering institutes and universities offering courses in metallurgy or mechanical.

Integrated automobile industries do have a QA Lab.

Do not spare foundries, forging units and heat-treatment shops also.

All of the above would have such instruments which they replace say after 10 / 15 years.

You could have a chance to buy cheaply from them if you are lucky.

DHURJATI SEN

Find a rep in your area that sells new equipment. He may know of people that are looking to upgrade and having you buy the used stuff might even help him make a sale.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I don't have industries near me that are likely to use much relevant lab equipment or be planning to dispose of it. Travel to find equipment was not time-effective before Covid; now it is practically a non-starter.

What I have learned in the past and again with recent googling:
[ul]
[li]Used equipment dealers want ridiculous money for hardness testers in uncertain condition. Auctions are worse.[/li]
[li]A new metallograph with digital camera can be had for reasonable cost, ~US$1500. Chinese made of course, but probably acceptable for the simple tasks I require.[/li]
[/ul]

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back