Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seeking "right" formula for heat dissipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally89

Industrial
Feb 24, 2020
IT
Hi, I'm struggling to find a univocal answer to my problem.

I have an electric enclosure, I calculated that when outside is 35°c the inside temperature is 76°C

How do I calculate the necessary air flow to bring the internal temperature down to the ambient one (35°c)?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mathematically, short of an infinitely fast air flow through the holes Keith mentioned, there will always be a temperature rise, even if it's infinitesimally small. If you've done calculations, then you can use the specific heat of air and determine the amount of air mass-flow to raise the temperature by, say, 1ºC, given your power dissipation.

For example, a 1ºC temperature rise requires a minimum of 173 cubic feet/minute flow with 100W input.

trying to design for no temperature is unrealistic and expensive. Your components should already be rated for at least 70ºC

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I would ignore the temperature you calculated baser on heat transfer and use the energi you need to Remove and the heat capacity of the Air. If Q is the heat generated, V is vol flow of air c is the volume heat capacity of air and t is the max temperature you will allow then V=Q/c/(t-35)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back