Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking software for presenting closed 3D surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denial

Structural
Jun 3, 2003
AU
I am looking for some software, preferably freeware, that can present three dimensional surfaces in a user-friendly manner.

My (pre-calculated) data consists of scalar values (w) that apply at locations in three-dimensional space (x,y,z). Thus I have a large number of data quadruplets of the form
w = f(x,y,z)
The software I am seeking will be able to present the "contour" surfaces where w has a constant, user-specified, value.

These surfaces will usually, but not always, be closed surfaces, perhaps shaped a bit like the surface of a teardrop or a heavily distorted sphere.

Please note that I am NOT seeking software for data of the form w = f(x,y). I need the additional dimension.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The usual suspects, Octave and Scilab, will do it, but they aren't user friendly.

You could use excel, just sort on w and then display the 3d points, using an excel addin or two to generate a revolving 3d plot.

Cheers

Greg Locock

I rarely exceed 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight

Have you looked at Google Sketchup? I use it for modelling shading/shadows... Easy to use and relatively user friendly free software.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back