Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking source of low cost shock mounts for CD type drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelt

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2003
CA
If you have ever had cause to open a ghetto blaster or similar, you will observe that the CD drive is suspended on posts or standoffs with what appear to be moulded shock mounts. They are often like little convoluted bellows, moulded in a soft elastomeric. I'm sure these are available, in qty, at low cost from Asian sources. Has anyone ever sourced these, and if so would you be willing to share that info?
Yes, I know there are high end vibration and shock mounts around, but they are too expensive for the application.
Thanks in advance.

Nigel

"The ideal client is one possessed of great good sense and perfect judgement;
that is to say, one who agrees entirely with the designer at all times and in every respect."
Fenwick Williams, Naval Architect.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Boothby is right on, I've used these units in hardened PC cases and the stuff works great. I used to have a gimme golf ball made from thier c-1000 elastomer. you'd expect a rubber ball when thrown to the floor to bounce to the ceiling right? this stuff just goes THUMP and might bounce 6 inches. almost like wet clay.

By the way, they make the acoustic tiles used on submarines too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back