Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

seeking supplier leads 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentonschnaars

Automotive
Jun 1, 2008
AU
Hi im looking for some informaton on where i can find a supplier of 6061 t6 alloy billet, i will need the alloy inlarge billets and would prefer the supplier to be in australia but would consider international leed. also if anyone knows of any testing facilities for the testing of alloy wheels i have only been able to find one such company being ken archibald test services situated in the USA . Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated

cheers Brenton

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How big is large.

Stan Sainty at Sainty Engineering in Westmead NSW (Western Sydney region) uses single billets of aluminium for machining one piece big block V8 cylinder blocks. He might point you in the right direction if you call him.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

While I realise the amateur world is obsessed with billet have you considered a sand casting? You could heat treat it afterwards. There may be problems with porosity, but you can X ray them before you machine then.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Greg

Your not suggesting that "BILLET" is a trendy buzz word for overpriced auto fashion accessories of mediocre functionality are you. ;-)

Regards

Billet brake pedal covers!

Billet interior door handles!

Regards

Sand casting doesnt suit this application.

Billet refers to a cast semi finished product. It is also referred to as ingot, particularly for smaller sizes. A billet is typically cast to a rectangular, hexagonal or round cross section compatible with secondary processing

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

You can sand cast heavy truck wheels with good design, materials and technique at a much lower cost than maching billet.

Regards

Have you actually costed a one off from rapid prototype techniques like stereo lithography for the pattern then casting vs buying an ingot and throwing 95% of it away.

Regards

He said one wheel only in his last post. I really wonder what you can do with one truck wheel. I am really starting to have trouble taking this thread seriously.

Regards

Patprimmer, for some reason you have assumed it was a truck wheel that i am talking about.... must be the language barrier and what im saying is getting lost in translation.

Cory,

Initialy will be requiring 7 indivual billets but im sure this will increase in the future

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Wheel test labs in the US:

STL: 1 lab in Ohio and 1 lab in Texas. (
Goal Automotive: 1 lab in California
(
Not that it matters, but we've used both companies in the past for wheel testing.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Thanks for the links tim they are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back