Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEISMIC ANALYSIS OF MONOPOLE TRANSMISSION TOWERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG

Structural
Jul 18, 2001
US
WHAT IS CURRENTLY BEING USED AS FAR AS THE ANALYSIS OF MONOPOLES CONCERNING SIESMIC LOADING. TIA/EIA IS NOT VERY HELPFUL, AND SPECIFIC CODES, I.E. UBC/BOCA ARE NOT VERY APPLICABLE TO MONOPOLE TYPE STRUCTURES. ARE THERE EUROPEAN GUIDELINES FOR THIS???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Because the monopoles are often proprietary products I would assume that the seismic (vibration) design of the pole is up to the manufacturer. It seems logical for the connections (unless they are specified by the manufacturer) to be designed by the enigneer as is the foundation. As such, this problems seems almost text book in the application of base shear. As for as any factors are concerned I believe that UBC had R factors for Non-building structures which include inverted pendulum type structures as well as a host of others. Distributed mass cantilevers are included so if you don't want to lump mass at the top...

TIA-222-G (Draft) contains seismic analysis provisions for all of the various types of towers. For poles up to 50 ft, you can use an equivalent static lateral force procedure. Above 50 ft you must use either modal analysis (spectrum response) or a time history analysis. Enough modes should be included to attain 85% mass participation. 222-G probably won't be out until the end of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back