Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEISMIC CALCULATION OF STORAGE TANKS AS PER API 650 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anand23404

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2012
IN
Hello there!
Greetings for the day!
I have been thinking for a while about this and hence putting it before you for my better understanding.
Refer Annex-E (Seismic Design of Storage Tanks):
What is the meaning of "The Design level Peak Ground acceleration parameter (Sp)and what is the unit of this value. What does %g implies?
Take one case, Suppose the value of Sp is 0.36g, then either it means that this equals to 0.36 m/s2 or if it means 0.36 x 9.81 m/s2?

And for my Indian seniors out there, please tell me one thing. How can I relate 'Peak ground accn'(Sp) to Indian Zone factor(z)?

Your positive response will be highly solicited.

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In E2.2 you will find the definitions for the variables use.
Curiously all the "S" parameters except Sp are defined as %g.
Sp should be %g also.
This should also be evident in section EC where sample problems are worked out.

Peak (or maximum) ground acceleration(s) in codes like the IBC and so on, are the maximum design accelerations during a expected seismic event. They are normally given as a fraction (or percentage) of gravity. In the case of a metric PGA it would be PGA= (a/9.81)x100% (Where a= acceleration [in m/s[sup]2[/sup]) Which is typically the charted number in codes like ASCE. In the case of 0.36g, yes, it would equal 0.36*9.81.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back