Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seismic Codes and Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigmcg

Structural
Jan 23, 2007
US
Hi all. I recently moved to the US and am trying to get better versed in seismic design using local means and methods. I live in Florida, so unfortunately the local engineers generally know very little in this area. In my research thus far, I've come across many different codes and standards and am starting to get a little confused on where to start. For example, I've found a great deal of references to ASCE 7, UBC, IBC, ATC, FEMA, etc. I'm sure there are even more numerous state-specific codes (Caltrans, etc.) that apply as well. Could somebody please simpify this all for me and explain what codes, standards, and methods generally apply or govern in regions where you live/work? Also, any good books on the subject that are recommended? Any and all guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work mostly in structural steel. Most of the buildings I design fall under a version of the IBC (In the north east). The IBC references ASCE 7 for the development of the loads into the structures. I then deal with the AISC for the detailing requirements for the connections and members. Most of the steel information/detailing requirements can be found in the AISC 341. In fact the depending on the type of system you are designing (concentrically braced frame, special moment frame...) the code references the specific AISC 341 sections that you are suppose to comply with.

I haven’t done much concrete. However I believe it is done in a similar manner (only with reference to the concrete code).

General codes are the IBC and ASCE7 as mentioned which refer or draw from several others such as the AISC (steel), NDS (wood), AITC (wood),and ACI (concrete).

There are others for Masonry, Aluminum, etc. What primarily do you work with?

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

The IBC model code is applied locally, the version of IBC in Florida is the Florida Building Code 2007, FBC 07 does not have seismic provisions for obvious reasons. However, IBC 09 and IBC 06 refers to seismic design using the loads generated by ASCE 7-05.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back