Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seismic Design of Steel Structures Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaquers

Structural
Nov 6, 2010
AR
I'm looking for a good book about seismic design of steel structures. Any idea? Thanks,

Sebastian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out International Code Council, store, engineering and chose from seismic to steel to concrete etc.

Also going to Amazon yields:

1. Ductile Design of Steel Structures by Michel Bruneau, Chia-Ming Uang and Andrew Whittaker (Hardcover - Oct 1, 1997)
Buy new: $89.00 $68.45

14 new from $65.03 16 used from $64.93

Get it by Friday, Apr 29 if you order in the next 21 hours and choose one-day shipping.
Only 20 left in stock - order soon.
(4)Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
Excerpt - Page 6: "... ; Prion, H.G.L.; Filiatrault, A.; and DeVall, R. 1996. "Seismic Design of Steel Buildings: ..."
Surprise me! See a random page in this book.

See newer edition of this book
Books: See all 54 items

2. Ductility of Seismic Resistant Steel Structures by Federico M. Mazzolani (Kindle Edition - Mar 24, 2009) - Kindle eBook
Buy: $95.99

Auto-delivered wirelessly
Kindle Store: See all items

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Google search NIBS website. If you look around on there, you can find a lot of good info on the seismic design of buildings. Also, has many examples. Best of all, it is free.

AISC has a Seismic design handbook.... That's probably the best reference that I can think of. The current version is the 1st edition and has more errata than you would normally like to see. Hopefully, the current printing has most of those issues picked up already. ;)

Assuming that you already have a solid background in dynamics and earthquakes or have read Dynamics of Structures by Chopra, the AISC seismic design manual is probably the most useful for applying the current design codes, but I also highly recommend finding a copy of Ductile Design of Steel Structures by Bruneau et al. It describes plastic design (generally already incorporated into current design codes implicitly) and lessons learned from the pre-2000 earthquakes (which have shaped many of the detailing provisions in current codes).

Structural Design Engineer
New York, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back