Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

seismic design used period and extreme torsional irregularity in a residential building

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdallah hamdan

Structural
Oct 13, 2021
PS
while designing a 7-story residential building, Etabs calculated the fundamental period as 1.85, and the approximated Period Ta was 0.53, the building is located in seismic zone 2B with Z=0.2g, and the period used for calculating base shear was 1.4 Ta which is 0.74, isn't the used period far from the fundamental period, should I decrease it to be near the approximated Period ? by adding shear walls?
another question, the building has extreme torsional irregularity, does increase the accidental torsion at each level by an amplification factor, Ax, only, safe for design?
the building is in the attachments if it helps
the code used is UBC 97
thanks in advance

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=021674d5-cca8-43d2-9daa-a4f62a33b027&file=Capture.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The picture attached implies the first mode is torsional mode ..and the bldg has extreme torsional irregularity..

Will you post the first three mode shapes to get better responds ?

Tim was so learned that he could name a
horse in nine languages: so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on.
(BENJAMIN FRANKLIN )

1_gtf5us.png

here are the first 3 mode shapes, another question, can I use response spectrum analysis when the first mode is torsional?

UBC 97 allows the use of RSA for this case. ( Refer to 1631.5 Response Spectrum Analysis.)
1630.7 Horizontal Torsional Moments. ( and formula (30-16))

But i will suggest you to add some shear walls keeping symmetry to minimize the torsional effects.

Tim was so learned that he could name a
horse in nine languages: so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on.
(BENJAMIN FRANKLIN )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back