Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seismic Exemptions for Nonstructural Components in Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtotheos

Structural
Aug 4, 2023
US
I am designing a slab-mounted structural steel frame to support a new large 60" diameter exhaust duct inside an existing industrial facility over a 100' span, about 20 feet off of the finish floor. Nothing else will be attached to the new frame besides the duct.

The project site is Seismic Design Category C and the duct has an importance factor of 1.0. Looking at ASCE 7-16 Ch. 13, that would indicate the duct itself is exempt from the requirements of Ch. 13.

However, when it comes to designing the "pipe rack" type of frame that will support this duct, I am trying to understand what lateral forces to apply in the design. Would you design the frame per Ch. 15 - Nonbuilding Structures, and calculate out the seismic response coefficient (Cs) by selecting a structure type out of the tables in Ch. 15? Are we then applying that calculated Cs value to the self-weight of the structural frame AND the duct? Or since the duct was exempt are we not accounting for its seismic load being transferred into the frame?

Or since the duct is exempt and we are designing this frame solely to support the duct within an existing building, are we to just follow the basic requirement of Section 1.4.2 and analyze the structure for a minimum of 1% of total dead load in both lateral directions?

The way I have done it in the past, for something like this that utilizes significant structural steel framing (not just talking about supporting a duct with a piece of Unistrut) would be to calculate Cs for the structure per Ch. 15, and then accelerate all dead load on the structure (including the duct) by Cs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like your final scenario best. If you going to design the pipe rack for seismic then the load is based on it's self weight and the weight of all components supported.

But since the duct is exempt, perhaps both the duct or it's support are also exempt and no require seismic. I don't usually get into much that is exempt so I'm not so sure about interpretation there.

Would also be considering the size of everything and the consequences of failure in lateral loading scenarios before fully exempting or designing for the 1% of weight carried.

Are you sure the duct is exempt? There are pretty specific exemption requirements that are generally for small, light ductwork. Not sure what type of exhaust is coming through the duct either, because it is not exempt if it carries certain types of gases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back