Seizure of Multistage Vertical Centrifugal Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayZ-A

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2024
PH
Hi all,

We have this problematic multistage vertical centrifugal pump that seizes every time it is shut down. We’ll call this problematic pump as Pump B because it is a standby unit to another pump that we’ll call Pump A. See pump operating info below:

Service Liquid: Propylene
Density: 480 kg/m3
Flow rate: 34 m3/hr
Suction Pressure: 12 bars
Discharge Pressure 54 bars
Suction Temperature: 30 degC

Once Pump B started up it will run continuously without much issues. Parameters seem normal and vibrations are low. It is only when it is shut down does its shaft seizes at some point during coast down. The point of seizure is usually between the balancing drum and its balancing drum liner. Here are some photos:

balancing_drum_zdzyy8.png
balancing_drum_liner_apudu3.png

I have also included the drawing of the pump. The balancing drum and balancing drum liner is on Pos. 603.01 and 605.01 respectively.

I had the clearance between the balancing drum and its liner measured thinking that the clearance between them could be the issue. As found clearance was 0.28mm and as per equipment manual the maximum allowable clearance is 0.285mm. I recommended the balancing drum and liner be replaced because the clearance is close to the maximum allowance. The brand new balance drum and liner clearance was 0.17mm.

Then I had the runout of the shaft measured. As found the highest runout measured was at 0.076mm close to the mechanical seal area. This was beyond the acceptable runout of 0.025mm so I recommended to have the shaft replaced. Unfortunately, the only available spare shaft had a runout of 0.038mm also close to the mechanical seal area. There was no choice at the time so the spare shaft with the lower runout was installed despite exceeding the allowable tolerance. Pump was reinstated and it was able to run for a total of 54 days without any issues. Operation had to be stopped because we had a schedule shutdown for the plant. The pump did not seize this time. When it was time to operate Pump B, we observed that the balancing drum pressure and the discharge pressure of Pump B was fluctuating. The operators decided to switch the operating pump to Pump A. Pump B did not seize this time upon turn off. After 5 days of Pump A operating, our maintenance scheduled a test run of Pump B to observe its performance. During the testing, the balancing drum pressure and the discharge pressure was fluctuating again and the testing was discontinued after a few minutes I think. After shutting it off, the shaft seized during its coast down and the pump was pulled out for overhauling. The seizure point was between the balancing drum and the balancing drum liner again. Maintenance did not replace them this time but instead polished the surface to remove the scratches. Clearance between the two are still within tolerance after polishing. We checked the runout of the shaft as well and it seems to have changed from the previous measurement. Now it has a runout of 0.07mm at the coupling area and 0.05mm at the balancing drum area which both exceed the 0.025mm tolerance. Still no spare shaft available for replacement. We were against installing the shaft because of this but our Maintenance and Operations department agreed to install it anyway and see if the pump will run despite the shaft condition. It was put into service and surprisingly, it was able to run without any issues. It was agreed upon that Pump B will be put continuously in service until the new spare shaft arrive. 8 days later, we had a process upset in a different area which required a plant shutdown, hence, also requiring the pump to be shut down. And the shaft seized during coast down.

I have a few suspects on what could be causing the issue:

A. Excessive shaft runout – this seems like the most obvious reason. However, I am thinking that the excessive shaft runout may also be the aftereffect of the seizure due to the impact/momentum of the sudden stop of rotation. And it’s also puzzling why the seizure only occurs after shutting down the pump, when the shaft is coasting down and does not happen during startup. I expect if the excessive runout was the root cause, then shouldn’t the pump seize upon startup? I am not sure.
B. Pump was not properly vented/primed – this could explain the case when we had to discontinue the pump testing due to the fluctuations in the discharge and balance drum pressure as it was only a few minutes between pump startup and shut down. But I don’t think this could explain the pump seizure where the pump ran for days without any issues.
C. Foreign bodies get stuck between the balancing drum and balancing drum liner – I also considered this but again, how come it only seizes after when it is shut down? It’s kind of unlikely that no foreign body enters the pump during days of operation and only when it is shut down do foreign bodies enter to cause seizure. And also why is Pump A not affected given that their suction line is common.

Currently the new spare shaft has arrived. We’ve checked the runout and the max runout we measured was 0.015mm which is acceptable. Another concern is will the seizure stop from occurring once we replace the shaft. If the excessive runout is not the root cause and only an aftereffect of the seizure, then this new shaft would also have excessive runout if the seizure still occurs.

What do you guys think? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a differential thermal transient problem where the outside of the housing cools faster than the rotating part.

How much of a temperature difference would be required to close the gap?

OTOH is there anything in the fluid that could be broken down by the shearing action into something sticky?

3DDave:
I'll add that to the things that I'll check. I haven't looked into it yet. Looking at the parts list though, it seems the balancing drum and the liner have different material grades.
Balance Drum - 1.4057 HV
Balance Drum Liner - 1.4138 WNT

Regarding the fluid though, propylene liquid should not have anything that would turn into something sticky as far as I know.

Only point I can raise is your drum clearance.

The drawing you posted seems to show this as dimension E which is either 0.1mm or 0.075mm depending on the model, but you quote 0.285 above?

The only other point is if this is happening during run down how is this happening?, a slow rundown over X seconds or much faster? Is the shaft hitting some resonant frequency during this run down which is doesn't normally see?

Is there any difference between pump A and B?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

During rundown, does the pump vibrate? I'm curious if it is going through a critical speed, or if unbalanced forces are causing shaft deflection.

LittleInch:
Oh yeah, the model of this pump is TTMC-50 so dimension E is 0.075mm. Forgot to mention that I was referring to diametral clearance so multiply by 2 = 0.15mm which is the minimum clearance. Doublechecked and manual says max diametral clearance is 0.30mm and not 0.285mm. Apologies.

I don't know how long it takes for it to seize during its rundown as no one was able to time it. But if I would give an estimate, approximately 20-30 seconds. Haven't checked for resonance frequency during run down.

In terms of model or parts, I don't think there are any differences between the two pumps. The only difference I can think of is the geographical location of the pumps. I tried to illustrate their position using powerpoint below:
PFD_mwfduh.png

The service liquid would pass through the line of Pump A first before Pump B. Another difference that I can think of is that Pump B was overhauled around April 2022 and was test run around May 2022 in which it experienced the first seizure (as far as I know). The plant was in furlough in 2020-2021 and I don't think Pump A had any overhaul since then until present.

TenPenny:
We haven't checked vibration during run down yet. We'll probably have to schedule another test run, turn it off and try to get measurements. I don't know the critical speed of this pump so I would not be able to tell.

That sounds like a long run down?

Why?

Unless your downstream pressure decays faster than the pump it will dead head / low flow and possibly vibrate more.

Have you checked the return line from the top side of the balance drum is clear back to the suction side?

Through that little plug 903.02?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Can we see the process drawings that show the inlet and exit shutdown valves for each pump, and the min flow control loops for these pumps, and the suction line from the sphere.
Do the inlet / exit shutdown valves on both pumps A and B have matching closing times ?

LittleInch:
Maybe I am overestimating the run down time. I'll have to time it next time we conduct testing and I'll get back to you on this. I'll try to see if anyone got a video of the run down and time it there.

We haven't thought about checking the return line, so no, not yet. Do you think it could be related to the fluctuation in its balancing drum pressure and discharge pressure? That is also another one of the differences that I can think of between Pump A and B. Pump B expriences pressure fluctuations on those parameters I mentioned during its most recent month of operation.

georgeverghese:
I'll try sending it once I get back to office after the weekends. The inlet/exit shutdown valves are manually operated as far as I know. During pump switchovers, I remember the operators opening the discharge valve of Pump A while simultaneously closing the valve of Pump B and vice versa depending on which pump was operating. Once the discharge valve is fully closed, the flow would then be redirected via an ARV and only then will the pump be shut down. The ARVs should be similar to this picture here:
TDL_2_zfcgkb.jpg

ARVs' work well only with a well decaying Q-h pump curve. If you have a relatively flat Q-h profile as you approach the min flow point, its anybody's guess when the ARV will open as you close the discharge valve. Post the Q-h curve for this pump also, and the process/mechanical sizing datasheet for the ARV.
You've got 900m of head being developed in 4 stages, and it looks like that 1st impeller is an NPSH booster impeller.
Ideally, an FIC-FCV loop would have been better rather than this ARV.
Have you tried switching over the ARVs' between pump A and B to see if this vibration stops when bringing pump B online?

"Once the discharge valve is fully closed, the flow would then be redirected via an ARV and only then will the pump be shut down."

So as the discharge on pump B is fully closed, presumably the ARV kicks in and works well and there is no vibration. So this may not be a pump min flow problem with the ARV.

georgeverghese:
The drawing only shows 4 stages but the pump actually has 9 stages.
No, we haven't tried switching the ARVs of A and B.

I have attached the following:
[ul]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/ul]

Additional info regarding some of the information in these docs:
[ul]
[li]The pump Q-h curve provided by the OEM does not seem to match the actual performance when observed in the field so we tested the pump at different flow rates and I generated a Q-h curve showing the actual head it develops via Excel using the data we collected. You can see that the actual head developed by the pump is higher compared to the one provided by the OEM.[/li]
[li]In the P&ID, the pump being referred to in this thread is 80P-02B. It is used interchangeably with 80P-02A. You may see the pump info for both of these pumps in the lower left side of the P&ID. However, the info shown here are either outdated or wrong as they do not match the actual readings in the field. Kindly refer to my original post above for the actual parameters. This document also states that the impeller diameter is 210mm but the OEM datasheet shows 215mm which we have confirmed via actual measurements that it is indeed 215mm.[/li]
[/ul]

Okay, I see the ARC on these pumps. Q-h curve is fairly steep at around min flow, so ARC should work in principle. Presume the ARC is set to recycle some 25m3/hr (ie some 25-30% of 75m3/hr)- I dont see the performance datasheet for this ARC which shows flow and dp at which it recycles min flow of approx 25m3/hr.
On pump B, have you tried running this pump completely on recycle (ie with discharge valve fully closed, suction valve fully open) for some 5minutes at least. Any sign of overheating in pump casing ? Pity there is no TG or TT to tell.

georgeverghese
Regarding the ARC datasheet, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but there is a characteristic curve for this valve on page 2 of the 4th link from my previous reply. If this is not it, unfortunately I couldn't find it:
diagram_4_ld25ku.png

The branch is designated DN3 which is 25mm in diameter and based on Table 6 found on page 3, the maximum flow rate for that branch is 18m3/h which is pretty much about 25% of 75m3/h as you mentioned (75*0.25 = 18.75)
table6_luhe2g.png

We have tried operating pump B completely on recycle for at least 5 minutes. No apparent issues were observed but it is pretty subjective. But yeah, no temperature indicators to tell if it is overheating or not.

I was looking for the datasheet specific to this application. 18m3/hr may be the max, but what is the actual flow through DN3 when mainline flow is zero? Is this table 6 based on water ? Pump min flow also not stated on Uhde pump performance datasheet - sloppy of this contractor. This info may be in the original Sulzer datasheet. Looks like Uhde did not fill in a great deal of info on their company datasheet as part of vendor data incorporation.
As others have mentioned, another prime suspect would be mechanical induced vibrations during coast down in this 9 impeller rotor shaft.

georgeverghese
Oh, I see. Unfortunately, I don't have that data. We don't have any flow indicators on the DN3 branch to gather this data ourselves. Maybe we can try using a portable ultrasonic flow meter for that the next time we do test the pump.

I'm not sure if table 6 data was based on water or other medium. The docs did not specify.

I'll try asking Sulzer for the datasheet but they're not replying to my emails. We have a different pump performance curve for this pump available and it states that the min flow is 10m3/h. However, I do not trust this info because the performance curve is vastly different from the one I sent (other doc was only rated at 52m3/h only compared to 73m3/h in the doc I sent) so that leads me to believe that these pumps have been modified at some point to accommodate higher flow rates.

Thank you for the inputs, everyone. Seems like we need to test the pump again to confirm some of the prime suspects you've mentioned and gather more data. However, it's probably going to take a really long while before we can do that as just recently, our plant is currently inoperational for an indefinite amount of time. Once we are able to test this pump again, I'll get back to you guys with our findings and if we've figured out the problem by that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back