Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select Parts or Assemblies? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwarnke

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2008
US
I want to know if there is a way or filter or something that when I click on a face of a part(in an assembly) it picks the whole part vs. that face? Is there a way to pick the sub-assembly it's part of by clicking that face? I tire of selecting a face, then finding the highlighted part in my feature tree. My assemblies are just too huge to do so.

Thanks,

Joel Warnke
Solidworks Professional 2008

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two settings;

Tools > Options > System Options > Display/Selection ... Highlight all edges of features selected in graphics view

Tools > Options > System Options > Feature Manager ... Scroll selected item into view

[cheers]

Why do you want to "select the whole part"? Do you just want to see what the whole part looks like?

As far as selecting subassemblies, if you right-click on a face of a component that is part of a subassembly there is an option for "Select Sub Assembly".

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

CBL,
I would suggest you read through the "what's new" PDF with each new release.... [poke]

I'm not sure if that was even in the "what's new" or not, but I think it started with '08. It was either '08 or '07. I don't recall, since I'd already written a macro some time before to do the same thing.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back