Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting a Molder / The Right Questions to Ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transient1

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2007
US
Without naming any names, I got a quote from someone that seems too good to be true. I am new to the plastic industry and this is a project I am working solo on. I have two questions:

1) Is there a forum with customer feedback somewhere?

2) What are the most important questions to ask the molder / how can I make sure I don't get burned ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Inquire about the supplier with BBB.
Google the company and the principals.
Ask D&B (you will have to spend a few bucks to get your own outfit listed before they will tell you anything).

If you could post a redacted version of what the molder quoted on, and list the questions (s)he asked, or exceptions stated in the quote, we might be able to infer if you're talking to a competent molder.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Some companies/industries have standard supplier questionnaires because they require suppliers to become approved and be added to a formal company list. In my experience they ask a lot of basic questions but by going through the process the answer becomes clear.

Some questions I've seen:
Quality Systems to which the company is registered?
Individual responsible for the Quality Assurance function?
Total number of company personnel:
Total number of production personnel:
Total number of QA inspection personnel?
Do you have a procedure for the control of new and existing customer drawings, specifications, and/or other PO requirements?
Are there procedures in place for purchasing and handling of customer orders?
Do you have a procedure for stock control including items with shelf life requirements?
Do you have a procedure for environment controls?
Do you have a procedure for Statistical Process Control?
Do you have procedures for measuring equipment and is all equipment is calibrated to traceable standards?
Do you have procedures and records for preventive and corrective maintenance of equipment?
Do you have procedures for packaging, marking, labeling and shipping, including shipping requirements, final inspection?
Do you have a procedure to notify customers of changes to product prior to shipment?
Do you have a procedure for customer complaints and feedback with records of effective resolution?

Mechanical design engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back